Our Head Chef’s Seasonal Recipes
Have you ever wondered what our Head Chef here at Bromley Court Hotel enjoys preparing, cooking and eating over the festive season?
Well here at our historic hotel in Bromley, Steve has created some delicious but simple dishes that he really enjoys, and below you can find his recipes so that you can try them out this Christmas… and delight your friends and family!
Duck & Smoked Bacon Roulade with crispy skin, pickled red onions & walnuts
TIP: Purchase a whole boneless duck from a local butcher. You will need around 800g of minced smoked bacon for the stuffing.
- Unroll the duck and cut in half between the two breasts. Trim any fat off and render down until crispy then save for later.
- Mix the minced bacon with chopped parsley, crushed garlic, splash of port & pink peppercorns.
- Season the duck meat, put the bacon mix on the duck meat then roll up until the mince is encased in the duck. You should have 2 roulades.
- Tightly wrap in clingfilm and then tinfoil.
- Cook in a roasting tray 160.c for around 1hour 15 minutes, or probe the centre to 80.c
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate. You can keep for 3 days after making.
- Slice to serve and garnish with the crispy skin, pickled onions, walnuts and crusty bread.
Red Wine & Chocolate Cake
Caster sugar 500g
Whole egg 7
Red wine 310g
Coco powder 1tbs
Ground clove 1/2tbs
Baking powder 20g
Grated dark chocolate 250g
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth & fluffy
- Mix egg & red wine together
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Slowly mix wet and dry ingredients into butter mix. Alternate between adding egg mix and dry mix
- When all mixed together pour into a greased loaf tin
- Fill ¾ to the top
- Cook at 170.c for 25-30mins
- Check its cooked pressing with a finger to see if the cake springs up or sticking a skewer in the middle, which should come out dry
- Allow to rest for 10mins then remove from tin and cool on a rack
Apple & Mince Meat Strudel with Whisky Sauce
Purchase a good quality sweet mincemeat mix from a farmers market or artisan food shop.
Granny smith peeled and diced 500g
Filo pastry 1 roll
Demerara sugar 100g
- Stew the apples and cinnamon with a little water and sugar until soft.
- Mix the apples with the mincemeat.
- Melt the butter.
- Unroll the filo and brush butter on one sheet, put another sheet on top then brush with butter again. Continue until you have 4 or 5 sheets.
- Place the apple & mincemeat filling in a sausage shape on the filo. Roll over the ends and roll up tightly.
- Butter the top and then sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Put on parchment on a baking tray and allow to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180.c for around 20 mins, or until golden and hot in the middle.
Serve with hot custard with some whisky added to taste.